Few events are more joyous than welcoming a child into your home and making him or her a permanent member of your family. At the law office of Michael J. Thompson, Attorney at Law, our lawyer guides Kentucky and Tennessee couples and individuals through the legal process.
We are proud to offer supportive legal counsel in the following matters:
- Stepparent adoptions: We help stepparents at Fort Campbell, in Hopkinsville and beyond complete the legal formalities of making their spouses’ children their own.
- Grandparent adoptions: In certain situations, a grandparent must step in and raise his or her grandchild. This may be necessary when the parent is abusive, incarcerated or otherwise incapable of providing adequate care.
- Foster parent adoptions: We can work with the Department of Children’s Services (DCS) to guide foster families through the adoption process.
Adopting A Child Through The Department Of Children’s Services
In order to adopt a child through the DCS in Tennessee, prospective parents must complete certain steps. Our law firm will walk you through the process, including:
- Completing the Parents as Tender Healers (PATH) process, which is 30 hours of self-assessment and education centered on communication styles, emotions, family strengths and more
- Completing the home study, which looks at your medical and financial situation, your family dynamics, references and more, from a licensed child placement agency
- Locating the child best suited to your family and your situation, as determined by the department’s social workers
Request A Free Consultation Today
To learn more about your options for adopting a child, request a free initial consultation with our adoption attorney located in Oak Grove. Simply call Michael J. Thompson, Attorney at Law, at 270-605-0441, or contact our firm via email. We welcome the chance to be of assistance.